Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why I Love Gouache - Part I



My Ostraka:  History IV:  lii      22 x 30" 
watercolor, gouache, sumi ink and traces of carbon transfer on Arches paper 
For March, I have been focusing a lot on gouache (opaque watercolors) since we had several sessions on gouache in my watercolor class at Illinois State University.  Most students have minimal and unsatisfactory experience with gouache.  Often they use the insufferable pan set of gouache for two-dimensional design.  Anyone would hate gouache after using the stubborn pan colors.  Or, students get a cheap gouache set.  The colors are harsh and coverage and workability insufficient.

For professionals, gouache is as much a ‘magic elixir’ as it is for students.  For me, transparent and opaque watercolors knit together beautifully.  Fortunately, we are past the rigid days when a true watercolor had to be exclusively transparent watercolors.  I admire and myself make many transparent watercolors.  I also find that most often, my visually richest work is layered with both transparent and opaque watercolors.  Long live gouache.

1 comment:

Cynthia Kukla said...

It has been a great experience seeing students learn to move gouache around and get some terrific results in their paintings.